Monday, June 2, 2008

Food for the Work at Home Gurl


Well, what a way to resurrect a blog. Again. Heheh. :p

Being a work-at-home girl, I need to be able to grab my meals on-the-fly, because just like you guys, I also lead a pretty busy life.

While you guys get a bi-monthly payment for your services, I am only as good as the efforts I put in, in my work. I need to maximize my time...


...and a lot of the time, I actually do not get paid for my work up front. Like in this blogging thing, it would take a while before my efforts would pay off.

One thing I realized that took too much time off me was preparing meals and cleaning up after. So, instead of spending so much time preparing, I decided to actually make sure that I get meals that I can just grab from the refrigerator and eat as I stare at my monitor, wondering what to do next.

While I could surely make use of sandwiches all the time, it’s just not healthy to gorge on white bread and whatever sweet filling I could think to fill it up, like coco jam or peanut butter. Instead, it would be wiser for a work-at-home girl like me, who gets virtually no exercise (save for walking to and from the train station or to the nearest mall, where my church is also located), to fill up with whole grains and other healthy food.

Of late, I’ve taken to feeding on organic rice, which, because it’s unpolished, is healthier for the intestines and the other parts of the gut. I pair the organic rice with canned tuna in different flavors, and stir-fried vegetables. If I have a craving for something sweet, I stock up on rolled oatmeal, which I flavor with brown sugar and peanut butter, or peanut butter and jelly.

I also experimented boiling this with sliced bananas (the kind used for boiling, “Saging na Saba” in Filipino) and adding peanut butter and jelly. Yuuuuum!

You can skip the jelly, if the sour taste is funny to you.

What’s great about using peanut butter and jelly, and even with boiling the oatmeal with banana, is that you won’t need to use sugar for your oatmeal. It minimizes your sugar consumption, which makes things healthy on several levels. :)

Oatmeal, as we discussed here, is a great, quick-and-easy-to-prepare meal for those on the run. On top of that, the fiber content makes this meal healthy. Oatmeal is endorsed for those with circulatory diseases, which adds to its attractiveness for the health-conscious. When you need a quick bite, reaching for candy bars won't be an option, then, if you have containers of cooked oatmeal lying around in your fridge, ready for you to chomp down on it.

Tomorrow, I’ll discuss cooking a Mongolian-style quick meal for work-at-home creatures like moi.

Toodlez!


Thank you for the image:

http://www.fitness.com


No comments: